Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Glass Man


Today's blog is about a man I met several years ago....James Michael Kahle. I met James while attending an Open House in his glass studio in Rockford, Ohio. I was fascinated by his work and even more by the man himself. He loved what he did, and he loved teaching others. I fell in love with the art of glass making...I have always had a love for the product itself, but this was the first time I had been in a studio.

At the time, I was a teacher of talented and gifted students in New Knoxville, Ohio. As I watched him and listened to him, I knew I had to share his knowledge with my students. James offered a class to high school students, known as The Hot Glass Experience. Students come for the day, learn about glass, make a paperweight, and watch (with amazement) as Jim and his apprentice make the vessel that will soon become theirs.

For me, this was a problem because my students were in junior high. When I inquired about the workshop, James told me he would be willing to try the experience with younger students. If this worked out, he would continue to work with kids their age.

Long story short, during our visit he GAVE us a beautiful vessel (bowl) to auction off at our school. The only catch was to bring my class back the following year for a set fee. Well, the auction yielded much more than the cost of the next year's trip. We kept the remaining money and bought supplies for our classroom! What a deal!! And even better....my students loved the experience as much as I did!! This is now a yearly field trip for the students of New Knoxville, and I believe this is their 6th (or more) year of participating.

Months after the field trip, I brought my dad to the studio. My dad is a very crafty, hands on kinda guy so I thought he would enjoy a day with James (this was his birthday present). James video taped the experience, so my dad has a record of his day, and he also made a paperweight. I thought it was very enjoyable for my dad. And I thought it was very kind of James to take the studio time to show my dad the ropes.

Years went by, then all of a sudden an opportunity came along for me to attend a workshop hosted by James. I earned CEU's and had an awesome day. Oh yea, and I also have a paperweight to show my friends. A few more years have gone by since that last meeting, but I still remember with great fondness, the man and his glass.

I am only passing this experience along because it made an impact on me. I believe it made a huge impact on my former students as well as those to follow. Some of his marks left on others: he has worked around the world and with many other artists. He teaches an apprentice or two. A few years ago, he did a beautiful waterfallish display in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and regularly works with PBS on what he call his Blues Series.

Recently, I checked his web page to only find out that his studio is now in Dayton, Ohio. That's not much further than Rockford, but I was still disappointed to see he had moved. But on the other hand, it may be an excuse to make another visit!

If you are interested in James or his work or even spending the day doing something out of the ordinary, check out his web page: http://www.glassbyjm.com/ and enjoy!!

No comments: